Beginner's Guide: Basics of Long Term Food Storage
Here are some the basics on long term food storage and emergency food storage.
According to the American Museum of Natural History, many archaic food depositories have been found. However, food storage has become much more advanced than putting food in a dark cave. If you can properly package, your food storage can last for many many years, even decades. Here is some basic knowledge on emergency food storage.
There are several elements you will want to keep away from your food. Those are air, moisture, and sunlight. Also, you obviously want to keep the food safe from any insects or animals.
- Package food in sealed mylar bags. To seal a mylar bag, it is easiest to use a hot sealer.
- Oxygen absorbers will absorb all oxygen in the container which in turn inhibits the growth of mold and aerobic pathogens. Be sure to include an appropriate number of packets for the amount of food in the container.
- Moisture absorbers help to control the moisture levels in a food container. There are some items that these should not be included in.
- Many like to choose multiple barriers to store their food. You can store the packaged mylar bags in sealed buckets or totes.
- Keep your emergency food storage in a cool, dark place.
Watch for more information about long term food storage and emergency food storage.
- Tags: food storage tips
- Media Contributor
how do you measure how many oxygen absorbers to use