5 Cocktail Recipes Perfect for Galentine's Day
Whether you're single, in a relationship, or somewhere in between, one thing is for sure: You'd be lost without your bestie. So, while February is an ode to Valentine's Day, this year you might want to make some room for another important holiday, Galentine's Day.
Celebrating all things BFFs, this holiday is your chance to show your best friends that they're loved and appreciated. And the best way to do that? With yummy drinks and fun games! So, before you start planning a romantic date night in for your S.O., check out these fun cocktail recipes (and their matching activities) that'll bring a smile to your GFFs' faces.
But First, What IS Galentine's Day?
Celebrated on February 13th (just a day before Valentine's Day), Galentine's Day(1) celebrates friendship in all its forms. It was created by Amy Poehler's fictional character, Leslie Knope, on the popular TV show Parks & Recreation.
And yes, you won't see it popping up in your calendar as it's not an "official" holiday. But in the few years since Leslie introduced us to its concept, Galentine's Day has turned from a TV show stint into a V-Day-caliber celebration. Because, honestly, friends are often there for us when partners can't be.
5 Cocktail Recipes to Sip on Galentine's Day
1. Strawberry Margarita
Colorful and sweet, this vividly pink cocktail is like Galentine's Day in a glass. Thanks to its short ingredient list, it's also very easy to make. So, you can readily make a second batch if the first one runs out quickly. PS: It will!
- 2 cups organic crunchy strawberries
- 1 cup tequila
- ¼ cup orange liqueur
- 2/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup agave syrup
- Salt, for rimming
- Add the strawberries and 4 cups of warm water to a bowl. Soak for 15 minutes. Once hydrated, squeeze away excess liquid and transfer to a blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until the cocktail is smooth.
- Add the salt to a shallow dish (wider than your serving glasses). Run a lime wedge around the rim of each glass and dip it into the salt upside-down.
- Fill each glass halfway with ice and pour the margarita. Garnish with a lime wedge and serve immediately.
Matching Activity: Do a YouTube Challenge
With tequila giving you a major confidence boost, Galentine's Day is the chance to recreate all your favorite YouTube challenges. From the 100-layer challenge to the no-mirror make-up challenge, you and your gals can pick a theme that you all find entertaining and film your attempts as you go. Although the videos won't be YouTube-worthy, you'll definitely get a kick every time you look back at them.
2. Champagne & Raspberry Ice Cream Floats
Bringing two of our favorite ingredients together (champagne and ice cream), this bubbly cocktail is the stuff of dreams. As the ice cream melts into the champagne, it creates a frothy top that you can either sip on or scoop with a spoon. Your choice!
- 1 bottle of champagne
- 2 ½ cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup freeze dried raspberries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add the raspberries to a small bowl along with 2 cups of warm water. Soak for 15 minutes. Once hydrated, squeeze away excess liquid and set aside.
- Transfer the raspberries to a saucepan and stir in the sugar. Mash the berries to release their juices and turn the heat to medium. Cook until the mixture is mostly smooth and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and press the berries through a mesh strainer to remove the pulp and seeds. Let the sauce cool completely.
- Pour two teaspoons of the sauce in champagne flutes, add a scoop of ice cream (or two), and top off with champagne. Serve immediately.
Matching Activity: Curl Up with a #Girlboss Movie
Galentine's Day is all about showing your love and support to your favorite ladies. So, if you'd like to give your besties' a little nudge, stream a good girl-boss movie. You can go old-school with "Legally Blonde" or redefine 21st-century feminism with "The Intern."
3. Chocolate White Russian
The grown-up version of chocolate milk, this cocktail drink is perfect for the Galentine who can't say no to dessert. You can ask your fave ladies to supply the booze or their favorite kind of chocolate (dark, milk, ruby) for topping the drink.
- ¼ cup vodka
- 3 tbsp Kahlua
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp chocolate syrup
- Chocolate shavings, optional
- Fill a low-ball glass with ice and drizzle with the chocolate syrup.
- Add the vodka, Kahlua, and cream and give the cocktail a good stir. Top with chocolate shavings (optional) and serve immediately.
Matching Activity: Slumber Party
Delicious brownies? Check! A "chocolate milk" for adults only? Check! Lots of fun indoor activities to remind you of simpler times? Check! So, since you got all the fixings, why not throw a slumber party for Galentine's Day? You can finally catch up with your friends, try different face masks, or even play a few board games (we can't recommend the Mystery Date Game).
4. Blueberry Lavender Sangria
Floral and elegant, this cocktail is a far cry from the pink/red beverages you'll see everywhere on the next day (a.k.a. Valentine's Day). So, consider this sangria a breath of fresh air that'll make you and your squad feel extra special on this amazing day.
- ½ cup Prosecco
- 2 tbsp freeze dried blueberries
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp lavender extract
- Add the blueberries to a small bowl along with ¼ cup of warm water. Soak for 15 minutes. Once hydrated, squeeze away excess liquid and set aside.
- Combine ½ cup of water, sugar, and lavender extract in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and strain into a jar. Store in the fridge.
- To make the sangria, pour the Prosecco into a pitcher. Stir in the blueberries and the lavender syrup and stir gently. Serve in a glass filled with ice.
Matching Activity: One-Night Book Club
If you and your friends are avid bibliophiles, there's no better way to enjoy this fancy sangria than with a good book. And since this is a one-night-only book club, you'd be better pick a relatively short book. This way, you'll have enough time to read/discuss the book and catch up on your news.
5. Grapefruit Gin & Tonic
If you're looking for something subtle that'll still hit home with your gals, this fruity cocktail is the way to go. Light and sweet, it's perfect for a casual get-together at home.
- ¼ cup gin
- 2/3 cup grapefruit juice
- ½ cup tonic water
- Sprig of rosemary, for garnishing (optional)
- Fill a glass with ice. Add the gin, tonic, and grapefruit juice. Stir well to combine. Top with a sprig of rosemary (optional step) and serve immediately.
Matching Activity: Listen to Old Records
Sometimes keeping things simple is the best strategy. And if this is how you want to celebrate Galentine's Day, bust out your old records (or cassettes) and listen to the tunes you did as a kid/teen. This trip down memory lane will sure spark some of your memories from back in the day or make you share stories that your friend knows nothing about. Talk about a cool way to bond even more with your gals!
How will you celebrate Galentine's Day? Let us know in the comments down below!