3 Pizza Recipes for National Pepperoni Pizza Day
September 20 is National Pepperoni Pizza day. It’s that time of the year again when you can get super excited about cheesy, saucy, mouthwatering pepperoni pizza. You may wonder what could be so special about this seemingly ordinary Tuesday in September. Let me tell you. Nothing is more American than pepperoni pizza. The combination of cheese, tomato sauce, and pepperoni is genuinely remarkable.
Looking for something a little different than your typical pepperoni pizza? We’ve got you covered. Here are 3 hearty pizza recipes for you if you want to make your version of hot pepperoni pizza at home. But first, there’s a slight twist: the toppings.
How to Make Pepperoni Pizza with Fruit and Vegetable Toppings
Ditch the typical pizza toppings that contain processed foods and give a chance to healthy veggies and fruits to wow you with their colors and flavors. Wondering where to get fruits and veggies that may not be in season? Don’t Worry, because we offer the best quality freeze dried fruits and veggies and guarantee availability even if they are out of season. Rehydrate the fruits and vegetables, dry them thoroughly before layering on the pizza, chill them first, and add them to the pizza just before serving.
Vegetable pizza toppings
Fruits pizza toppings
1. Homemade Pepperoni Pizza
Try this hearty pepperoni pizza recipe with your favorite toppings. It will be ready in less than 1 hour.
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 8 oz. ground beef
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- ¼ cup canola oil
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups flour
- ½ cup dried onion
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon dried basil
- ½ cup organic dried green pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 ounces of your favorite pepperoni
- Mix the sugar and yeast in water in a mixing bowl, then set aside for about 4 minutes. Pour in the oil and salt. Then stir in 1 cup of flour at a time. Combine to form a dough. Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 3 minutes until elastic.
- Put the dough in a greased bowl and turn until greased on all surfaces. Cover and place in a warm for about 40 minutes to double in size.
- Meanwhile, sautée the beef and onion over medium heat until the steak is cooked and forms into crumbles; drain.
- Prepare a 12-inch pizza pan
- Punch down the dough and split it in half. Place one-half of the dough in the pizza pan.
- Spread the pepperoni and mozzarella over the crust. Add the toppings, then bake at 400°F for about half an hour or until the crust is gently browned.
2. Easy Fruit Pizza
This fruity pizza is bound to be a hit with the whole family. It’s the real meaning of having your cake and eating it: sweet but healthy.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 16 oz. cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Pizza Crust Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Combine the sugar and butter. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well combined. Add all the dry ingredients and combine to form a dough. Put the dough into a large basin and wrap it in plastic wrap. Chill for 1 hour.
- Use a rolling pin to make a large circle. Then, place on a pizza pan or prepared stone sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Using your hands, press the dough evenly on the pizza pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges and top start to brown. Set aside to cool before adding the topping.
- Mix cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. If you want a sweeter frosting, you can add more powdered sugar.
- Spread on a cooled sugar cookie crust.
For Fruit Toppings
3. Veggie Pepperoni pizza
- 1 batch of whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups dried spinach
- 2 to 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup artichoke, cubed
- ½ cup freeze dried red bell peppers
- ½ cup red onion, chopped into thin wedges
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup pitted olives, halved
- ½ cup sliced almonds (optional)
To garnish: basil leaves, red bell pepper, grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Place a rack in the upper second rack from the oven and baking steel or stone on the highest rack of the oven. Spread the pizza sauce on both crusts, leaving 1 inch of the borders uncovered.
- Spread spinach over the sauce. Cover with cheese. Then top with the tomatoes, bell pepper, and other toppings over the pizza
- Bake the pizza crust on the top tack for about 12 minutes until the crust is golden. Keep monitoring if you are using baking steel or stone.
September is the month of all things delicious and cheesy. Enjoy any of these pizza recipes with friends and family on National Pepperoni Pizza Day. Share your thoughts in the comments section below.